Monday, October 17, 2016

Learning New Jewelry Making Skills


I thought I'd share some photos today of a few things we made during a couple of jewelry making classes at Mohave Community College in Lake Havasu City, Az.   

I'd been looking for classes in our area that my husband and I might enjoy taking together for fun and to gain additional skills in jewelry making.

The Saturday after swap meet season ended I had us signed up for a Wire Wrap Class in Lake Havasu at the Community College.


My husband Rick is sitting in back while the teacher helps the other ladies in our class.


We were given a variety of cabochons to choose from and used square brass wire for wrapping.  These two are the finished pieces we made.  It was a 4 hour workshop and time flew by, it was fun!


After the Wire Wrap Workshop we took a beginners Silver Smith Class that lasted 6 weeks.  We learned how to solder silver and the pendants above are the first two pieces we made.  I enjoyed this class but felt like a fish out of water.  I didn't know anything about what we were doing and the class ended up being more of a place for jewelry artists to come and use the tools instead of learning how to make jewelry.  


With the help of the instructor and another class mate I was able to make this sterling silver cuff bracelet and another that I never took a picture of.  I'm happy with the way they turned out.  

As far as taking local Community College classes, we went, we did it & learned that we can learn as much and more online.  I don't mean to complain, I'm happy we took the classes.  We live in a small rural area, the classes we took were 35 miles away in the next town.  Our local Community College doesn't have any jewelry related classes.  We do live about 35 miles from Quartzsite Arizona so this winter maybe I can find us another interesting class or two!

No comments: