Monday, September 2, 2013

Sudz n' Hunni Soaps Lavender & Chamomile


Hi blog friends!

I've been working on production and design of new soaps and getting ready for the up and coming holiday season.  Soap is beginning to take over our house and lives...  you can find it stashed here and there in different stages of the curing process.  You'll also find it wrapped and ready to go on a counter top and the collection is growing daily!


Today's blog post is mostly about attempting to make a ten pound batch of soap.  The first photo is two 5 pound soaps in their molds.  The second photo is a view of the bottom and sides of the soaps just out of the molds waiting to be cut.


As I was taking pictures my daughter came by to breathe in the wonderful aroma of Lavender & Chamomile.  

This was kind of an experiment for me.  The largest amount of soap I've made at one time so far is 6 pounds.  Actually two 3 pound batches made one right after the other.  It worked well so I thought I'd try making ten pounds of soap at one time.

I discovered a few things...  as I measured out my oils and put them into my largest crock pot to melt it became full.  To the top full...  I made my lye solution using a strong tea made from Lavender & Chamomile which was cooling in the sink.  As I pondered what I was going to do I decided to do some math and divide my recipe in half so I could just make two 5 pound batches back to back.


The above photo is the soaps cut from the five pound batch with more purple and white on top.


And these soaps are from the five pound loaf that had more yellow along the top, bottom and sides.

I had a lot of fun making the soap and everything turned out well.  I haven't decided yet if I should acquire larger containers to make soap in or just make two batches at once.  

Adventures in soap making!

The cure date on these is Octomber 10, 2013 and they will be available in my online store 

Thanks for visiting my blog today -

Link Parties:

Clever Chicks

Adorned From Above

 Gingerly Made

Frugally Sustainable

2 comments:

Alyce Kit and Clowder said...

wow the blocks are huge! they look so yummy :)

Andee @ TheSage.com said...

These soaps look awesome! I've also started to make soap and found my original pot to be too small. Your soaps look great even with splitting the batch!