Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Homemade Elderberry Syrup


In an effort to become more self sufficient and because I love to make things I'm making Elderberry Syrup on my blog today!  Our December weather in Arizona is still beautiful, as I sit and type up my blog post the windows and doors are open, I'm wearing jeans, short sleeve blouse and I'm barefoot.  Blue sky, bright sunshine and 75 degrees at home in Parker today.  

But... our kids are in school, winter visitors are arriving and cold and flu season is upon us.
This year when one of our family members gets that cold or flu bug we'll be ready to treat it and get well without having to go to the store for the appropriate remedy.   The thing I dislike the most about the over the counter cold and flu remedy's is the "non-drowsy" stuff they put in everything - makes me feel weird.  

The above picture is of the supplies I've gathered to make the Elderberry Syrup, I'll have the recipe at the end of my blog post.


Everything but the raw honey goes in a sauce pan to cook on the stove for 30 minutes.


The mixture has simmered for 30 minutes and is cooling before I strain it and add the raw honey.


After adding the raw honey, stirring until it dissolved I used a green glass beer bottle a friend brought over to me and made a label with directions for use and put it away in the refrigerator.

This was so easy to make and the house smells wonderful!

Elderberry Syrup Ingredients:

1/2 cup dried elderberries
3 cups distilled water
1/2 cup raw honey ( If you can get raw local honey it's best )
1 cinnamon stick, 3 whole cloves, and ginger (optional)

Place berries, distilled water, and spices in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 30 minutes or until a syrupy thickness. Mash the berries to release remaining juice and strain the mixture. Allow liquid to cool. Stir in raw honey only after mixture has cooled to preserve the enzymes and good stuff in the honey.
Elderberry Syrup will last 2-3 months when refrigerated.

Use: Child: Administer 1 teaspoon per day for prevention or 1 teaspoon per waking hour at the onset of cold/flu-like symptoms. Adult: Administer on same schedule, however increase dosage to 1 tablespoon.

Note: Not suitable for children under one year of age.

My favorite place to buy Elderberries online is Bulk Herb Store, they have fresh quality products.

My recipe, health benefits and directions for use came from Deep Roots at Home and Frugally Sustainable
I'm very thankful to be able to learn valuable skills of self sufficiency from these ladies.

Health Benefits:
Elderberry is used for its antioxidant activity, to lower cholesterol, to improve vision, to boost the immune system, to improve heart health, and for coughs, colds, flu, bacterial and viral infections and tonsillitis. Bioflavonoids and other proteins in the juice destroy the ability of cold and flu viruses to infect a cell. Elderberry juice was used to treat a flu epidemic in Panama in 1995.

Elderberries contain organic pigments, tannin, amino acids, carotenoids, flavonoids, sugar, rutin, viburnic acid, vitaman A and B and a large amount of vitamin C. These, including quercetin, are believed to account for the therapeutic actions of the elderberry flowers and berries.

Elderberries were listed in Mosby’s Nursing Drug reference for colds, flu, yeast infections, nasal and chest congestion, and hay fever. In Israel, Hasassah’s Oncology Lab has determined that elderberry stimulates the body’s immune system, and they are treating cancer and AIDS patients with it.

Thanks for visiting my blog today -

Link Parties:




6 comments:

Jennifer said...

How incredible! I never knew any of this! Thank you for the step by step in how to make the syrup! I agree that the 'non-drowsy' stuff is to be avoided at all costs!

April said...

This sounds much more enjoyable than the OTC stuff!! Thanks for sharing!!

AllisonG said...

I love natural remedies and take only naturopathic "medicines." It was very interesting to read all the uses of elderberries. Where do you get the berries?

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Hmm...where to find dried elderberries? Regular grocery store
or health food store? This sounds like a great recipe to have on hand. With all the vitamin C it would probably help with a dry cough also.
Needed it last week! Definately trying this. thanks!
Anna

Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily Farm Girl said...

New fan here from Frugal Days. I will definitely be trying this. If you haven't already, I would love for you to come visit me at Fresh Eggs Daily and share at my weekly Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/12/farm-girl-friday-blog-fest-12.html

Happy Holidays!
Lisa
Fresh Eggs Daily

HannahW said...

I have been wanting to make elderberry syrup! Thanks for sharing the recipe on Thrifty Thursday!!