Friday, May 7, 2010

Hey There, Sunshine!

I started to do my blog post and realized I hadn't taken a picture of the card yet, oh duh...  It's a beautiful morning here in Parker, Arizona currently 75 degrees with an expected high temperature of 96 degrees, the sun is shining brightly so I went outside to take my picture.  The theme of today's challenge is "Here comes the sun" challenge #42 by Pollycraft Monday challenge blog.  As I walked back in the house waiting for my eyes to adjust I thought, how appropriate I'm blinded by the sun for a moment! 

I made my card late yesterday afternoon.  The kids were home from school and would take a peek at my progress every once in awhile.  Their eyes got big when I brought out my air brush system for the blue part of my background but they weren't impressed enough to stick around.  Probably a good thing because they'd want to use it next and I'm working with air cans, very small air cans!

I've had this Polly Craft digi stamp for some time now and didn't know who it was created by.  I was browsing their store and spotted her, she's from the Cherry Kisses collection.  I have to admit I "added" a few more to my collection while browsing.

This was such a fun card to make.  I started by making her the size I wanted in my Publisher program and printing her.  I didn't have a clue what colors to use coloring her so I started with her skin and it all kind of came together for me.  Before I colored her jeans I made the block wall she's sitting on using my Copic C2 marker to scribble the color around her needed for the wall.  Then I went back and used the chisel tip of the Blender marker (0) to push the color out of the way to make the bricks.
Here's my inspiration for the block wall, it's in our yard.

After coloring her with Copic markers I cut her out with a Spellbinders Labels 1 die, the biggest one.  It's such a big die I decided on a 5 1/2" square card and cut a card body out of Carnival Navy card stock and a second 5 1/4" square out of Via Vellum Leaf Green.  I had a scrap of the navy so I cut it on the diagonal thinking it might add visual interest to my card.  I thought I had a sun stamp or die and found the Quickutz die in my sadly unused QK folder, I used  Papertrey Ink Summer Sunrise card stock to cut that from.  The Hey there sunshine is a stamp made by Verve Visual stamped on a Spellbinders tag die with a little May Arts dotted organdy ribbon attached.  I air brushed again to "get the white out" of the tag using the die as a stencil.  I had all the pieces and arranged them and re arranged them until I was happy with my layout enough to glue it all down, double sided Scotch and foam tape to be exact.

Copic markers used:  C2, B21, B97, B99, R02, R24, R29, E30, E31, E50, E51, E33, Y13, Y15, Y18, Y32, Y38, YG11, YG13, YG17, oh I wish I would have taken a picture instead...  

Thanks for stopping by, I hope your day is filled with sunshine~

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Absolutely adorable!! I LOVE the brick wall you created!

Joey said...

Hi Jan

fabulous card, she is so cute!love the boldness of your colours, thanks for joining us at pollycraft

Joey.x

Karen Howard said...

I love the die cut sun in the corner, makes me smile just looking at it! Beautiful card and I'm in awe over the air brushing and how you created that brick wall. Oh, and 75 is my perfect temp, over 80 is way too hot for me! I was to Arizona once and it reached 122 while I was there... had to rush home quick, LOL!

Carol L said...

What an adorable image and card! I absolutely love how you did the brick wall she's sitting on! Great job!

Carolyn Bounds said...

What a CUTE-alicious creation!!! Your image is colored beautifully, and I am lovin' that wonderful brick wall!!! A brilliantly cheerful card:o) I know it is going to bring on the smiles...especially for the lucky recipient!!

Have a wonderful Mother's Day!!!
Hugs!
Carolyn